Thursday, May 24, 2012

somebody that i used to know

Earlier this month marked the year's passing since the death of David, a friend of mine that I only knew a short while and not nearly well enough while in Uganda. I regret that I never knew him better. It's scary, how many people we know, but don't, not really, and that we don't stay in touch with.

I want to do better. Know people better. Love people better. Remember people better. I forget how much hurt is out there in people's hearts. I forget how many stories of pain and resilience and hope and despair are driving past me on the freeway or sitting next to me in school or waiting in line with me at the grocery store or living with me. I forget to value the people around me. I forget to see them.

David was troubled by the suffering he saw around him. He said this: "I look with my eyes, but I haven't seen with my heart." I don't believe that was true in his case, but I understand the fear he had, that he wasn't caring enough. I share it. I want to learn to see better. I suppose this entry is simply to respect and remember both David and what he taught me. I believe David's life and legacy continues on in every life he touched. If you can, take a moment to pray for the somebodies you used to know or still know.

David's heart

I'll leave you with a few videos I've been listening to while I remember.
Heart to heart, I wish you the best.



No comments: